Feel good, look great while flying
Summer is finally here and it is the time of the year pack your bags and enjoy the holidays. However in order to ensure that the much-awaited getaway remains stress-free and enjoyable and so you land at your destination pretty as a picture, certain precautions are crucial.
It is important to remain healthy and fit before the trip to avoid an uncomfortable, fussy vacation. Whether travelling alone or with family, it is advisable to maintain a checklist of items to carry in the luggage to remain energetic, fit and fresh. Especially on long-haul flights, it is only natural to look tired and dishevelled but there are always little ideas to beat this and help you look great even while travelling.
While in the bygone era, travelling meant wearing your Sunday best, today it’s all about minimalism and comfort. But if there is anyone who always manages to look immaculate disembarking long-haul flights, it’s that impeccably dressed air hostess. So we look at some tips from the grooming team at Virgin Atlantic, some of which apply to both sexes:
• Hydration: Drinking at least a one litre of water before, during and after your flight is essential. Electrolyte drinks such as Gatorade and Sportade are also great options to keep your body hydrated. A hydrating facial spray can be used throughout the flight, just make sure they contain essential oils or other hydrating properties as a standalone water spray could dry your skin.
• Hair: Invest in some Moroccan oil and use on your hair before you travel and also during your holiday. It nourishes and protects your hair and stops it drying out on board and in the sun. Another way to keep your hair effortlessly glamorous would be with the Elnett hairspray as it will keep any style in place but without giving that stiff feeling.
• For the ultimate beach hair look use Bumble & Bumble surf spray mixed with a little Brylcreem and watch how you shine.
• Skin: Exfoliate your skin the night before you fly. The fine abrasive cream will remove dead skin cells allowing for better penetration of hydrating skincare products. This must be followed by a generous layer of moisturiser and a good night’s sleep.
• Clean, cosmetics-free, moisturised skin is also essential during the flight. Reapply moisturiser all over your face, neck and décolletage each time you get a fresh glass of water.
• However if you must have some colour, the Virgin crew recommend bareMinerals concealer and foundation. This make up gives great coverage yet allows your skin to breath. It also contains zinc oxide which calms the skin.
• Eyes: The Virgin crew recommends visiting a reputable salon to have your eyelashes tinted. This will give your lashes colour, length and volume and can last for up to 12 weeks.
• Lips: Use a really good lip balm and apply it regularly throughout the flight. Vaseline lip therapy sun protection is great and can be used on its own and under lipstick. Try applying Lip balm to your cuticles to keep your nails hydrated.
Virgin Atlantic ‘Upper Class Red’ is another product from the bareMinerals range and passengers can now get a taste of this new shade which was launched earlier this year to mark the airline’s redesigned Upper Class cabin. The striking lip colour is available for pre order and home delivery through Virgin Atlantic’s Retail Therapy offering www.retailtherapyshopping.com.
Simple, easy and such essential little pointers, after all looking great is equally important for all those priceless photographs we take.
And as you venture on your holiday, I too am heading on a longer journey, one that takes me home to India. After a lifetime in the Middle East and 10 amazing years with what has become my second home – and I mean that literally, given the number of hours we’ve clocked with TTN – it’s time for me to bid farewell to TTN and sunny Dubai.
Now as I’m pack up and prepare to say goodbye to a place I always thought I didn’t like too much, I realise I actually love Dubai and am going to miss it terribly. Will I be able to adjust in a new country after this comfortable lifestyle – I don’t really know. But hey, what’s life without a few surprises?
I’m handing over the reins to another Chandran, as Shilpa Chandran takes over as Editor. She is now reachable at [email protected].
On that note, dear reader, goodbye and good luck!