Oman's Six Senses Zighy Bay is taking its eco-credentials to the next level, with the launch of Earth Lab, part of the Six Senses global commitment to sustainability.
The worldwide initiative was announced last year, and Six Senses Zighy Bay has been working hard to align a number of its ground-breaking ecological activities, while developing their own to serve the resort’s immediate needs. Earth Lab is a concept that engages and educates guests and hosts alike to play, preserve and reconnect with nature.
While Six Senses Zighy Bay adopted the philosophy of zero waste, the launch of Earth Lab has enabled them to recycle, upcycle and create clean products that can be enjoyed by guests around the resort; such as, soap, body lotion, body scrub and bath bombs. This allows the resort to reduce the carbon footprint of transporting materials, especially through upcycling materials into new products that are used as room and spa amenities.
Six Senses Zighy Bay’s Earth Lab will also serve as a place to communicate work happening off-site, for example, marine conservation, beach cleaning, farming initiatives and community development. Some of the activities done around the resort include:
• Bottling water on site, eliminating the transportation impacts and use of plastic water bottles
• Introduction of alternatives to plastic straws by enforcing the use of paper straws
• Free range chickens producing organic eggs
• Composting of food waste to fuel an organic garden and Dibba Farm
• Harvesting of fruits and vegetables from the in-house organic garden to provide fresh and healthy meals for guests
• Keeping of bees for honey and to pollinate local crops
• Upcycling of glass (where recycling is not available) into ornaments, jewellery, food and beverage centrepieces etc.
• Harvesting of seeds, which are kept in a seed bank and made available for guests to take and grow organic at home
The Earth Lab logo has a rich story behind its design. The hexagons represent nature’s beehive pattern and represent Earth Lab’s commitment to producing natural products. The design also evokes feelings of scientific discovery, which we aim to inspire in our hosts, guests, and community members through educational programming. - TradeArabia News Service
TTN is the most established trade publication in the Middle East distributed on a controlled circulation basis to members of the travel and tourism industry.
Published monthly by Al Hilal Publishing and Marketing Group, the region’s foremost trade publisher, TTN is aimed at professionals in the industry, from travel agents to airline and hotel personnel.
TTN provides in-depth and extensive coverage of relevant issues in the Middle East and North Africa as well as in other parts of the world. Travel related news, analysis, and new appointments together with information on up-coming exhibitions, marketing and promotional campaigns are presented in an innovative and striking colour tabloid.
Every issue also contains a collation of international and regional news and topical features of interest to readers.